Thursday, July 22, 2010

Contributing to a stereotype

It’s that time of the year again, the Battle of the Badges has concluded.  At yesterday’s weekly meeting of the department heads with the Mayor, the travelling trophy was to be bestowed on the winning team.  The suspense was palpable.  After the police team was announced as the winner, I should have been flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct—excessive celebration. 

The Blood Bank representatives brought donuts to the Mayor’s office for the announcement, but only a few were consumed by the City directors.  I snagged the box from the Mayor’s conference room after the meeting, brought them back to HQ and passed them around to the staff.  To the victor go the spoils, as they say. 

Our Team leader, Michele Selvage, grabbed the hardware, since I was busy gloating and my hands were filled with a box of bleached flour, refined sugar, and fat.  All for a good cause, though.  For 12 years he Battle of the Badges has brought out donors for the Community Blood Bank. 

Is this photo contributing to a stereotype? 

P1020050

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

It used to be "Bread"
Today it is "Dough"
The Govt calls it "Money"
And LPD calls them "DOUGHNUTS"
Very well put.

Anonymous said...

You just need to put a little bubble over your head with the caption "mmmmmmm doooonuts!!!"

Anonymous said...

As they are LaMar's how can you not take them and enjoy them! Congrats!

Steve said...

I'm not doing anything right now; do you have any left?

Anonymous said...

I don't know about the contribution to a stereotype but they sure can contribute to the waist.
Gun Nut

Anonymous said...

No Bismarcks? No Berliners? What's wrong with you people?

Former Deputy D said...

Sterotype? HECK YES!! Those look DELICIOUS. burp.

Oh, the good old days: when you started your day off with a couple of those and a Coke. That way if you were short staffed, you didn't need to stop for lunch. I used to hate it when the jelly filled ones would end up all over my uniform, everyday. ;)

Former Deputy D said...

Right now, I bet your are having a great time at the Special Olympics Track and Field events. Wish I was there rooting them on! Be sure to let us know how that went. Congrats for the Battle of the Badge win, a very worthy cause.

Anonymous said...

Why are there no pink ones? EOE laws will not be happy.

Tom Casady said...

Whew! Pretty warm out at Track & Field. I bet I'm the most photographed man in America today. You can wipe the powdered sugar off my mustache, but after a day of medal-hanging at the Special Olympics, it's going to be hard to wipe the smile off my face. About a thousand people told me how much they appreciate everything the City, the citizens, and the police department have done to make their visit enjoyable.

Anonymous said...

Some of LaMar's Bismarcks:

Bavarian Cream Filled
Raspberry Filled
Strawberry Filled
Cherry Filled
Lemon Filled
Blueberry Filled
Apple Filled
Apricot Filled
Banana Cream
Coconut Cream
Pineapple Filled
Peanut Butter & Jelly

I suppose I could get a box of one each and determine which of the dozen is the best.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations LPD you are saving three lives for every donation. I have had several personal experiences with family and close friends receiving blood or blood products over the last year. I just want to personally thank everyone who donates blood.

If you can't overcome the stereotype might as well enjoy it with the best donuts. Go LPD!!!

Anonymous said...

"I have absolutely no interest at all in helping the federal government do their job," he said.
LOL,
But you sure like to accept the money from us.
Politics really stains the carpet.

Tom Casady said...

3:06-

Wildly out of context. I am not interested in taking over the federal government's responsibility for immigration enforcement. We obviously help them all the time-- and vice versa.

Anonymous said...

We wondered what you do. Now we know, you munch donuts. No wonder your getting fat.