Wednesday, August 19, 2009

The Buckner

Next monday morning is the Don Buckner Memorial Scholarship fundraiser event, which is a golf tournament put on by the Lincoln Police Union. 'The Buckner', as it is commonly called, is one event that LPU holds in which all of the money raised goes towards scholarships that are awarded to LPD employee's children. Don Buckner was a Lincoln police officer that passed away from a heart attack. Coincidentally I met Mr. Buckner when I was young as he attended our church and he and my dad knew each other.
The Buckner is a great event and I am really looking forward to playing in it. Although I am kind of a hack and not a great ball striker, it's a 4-person scramble so I only have to hit a good shot once in a while. Consistency is not in my golf bag. This year the Buckner is being held at the Lincoln Country Club. I've never played there and I am excited to have the chance.
Besides being a great event and a worthy cause, the Buckner is tons of fun. It's a great chance to relax and have fun with co-workers and friends. The teams in the Buckner are usually made up of law enforcement officers, fire fighters, attorneys, and friends and family. It is a nice opportunity to see people away from work in a different environment. Plus, I get to see that even though I am not a great golfer, I can assuage my feelings in seeing that I am not alone. Good luck to all the teams!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're narrowing your identity down Atticus.

Anonymous said...

Hmm, if you're a mediocre golfer, then you must be me (or most people I know). I had tried going over most of the kids I knew who lived close to Swing-in, which might have more potential for a successful ID.

Steve said...

Oh, I don't know. There are probably plenty of bad golfers on the force! :)

Anonymous said...

Since someone who read the last post believes his name is "Bob" they are clearly no closer to solving this caper.

Anonymous said...

A hardback book of To Kill A Mockingbird, to first person to figure out who Atticus is.

Anonymous said...

I hope Atticus remains anonymous because I enjoy reading his posts without any filter of who he is.

Anonymous said...

its me, I'm Atticus.