Friday, February 24, 2012

Emerging leaders

I do a good deal of public speaking, to all sorts of groups. This week, though, I had a particularly challenging gig--an hour with the current class of Youth Leadership Lincoln, a group of 40 high school sophomores, selected to participate in this intensive leadership development program. I enjoy high school and college students a lot, and I am quite comfortable with these audiences. The challenging part was the topic: technology.

Think about it a minute. I'm a 58 year-old, talking to a group of 15-16 year-olds about technology. I told these future leaders about ALPR, the proliferation of video surveillance systems, the impact of technology on criminal investigations and personal privacy, and our ground-breaking location-based services application, P3i. No problem, I had nothing to worry about in retrospect. The hour flew by, and we could have talked all morning. I guess I can still hold my own in the constantly-connected crowd. But I still won't tweet.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Blogs are boring, chief. You really ought to switch to twitter and stop putting people to sleep.

Anonymous said...

You really are a great leader and role model for not only the generation coming up but also those of us that are a little grayer in the temple.

Anonymous said...

Blogs are boring, chief. You really ought to switch to twitter and stop putting people to sleep.

Not too boring for you to read, obviously.

Tom Casady said...

7:52,

As I keep saying, sometimes I even put myself to sleep.

7:56,

Gag me with a spoon. But thanks, anyway.

8:32,

I think 7:52 is tongue-in-cheek. But then again....

Steve said...

There are a lot of really great things that have come from advances in electronics and technology. Unfortunately, there is a lot of downside to much of it, too. "You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows." Bob Dylan

Anonymous said...

I LOVE your blog, Tom. It's one of the first things I read in the morning. As for tweets, I don't do/read them, either. Please, don't ever quit your blog! It's very informative and I enjoy reading most of the comments.

Anonymous said...

Speaking of ALPR, what kinds of luck have you had with that? Are you considering an expanded implementation? Have there been unexpected challenges? Any impressive success stories?

Anonymous said...

ALPR might even more useful now, I'd bet, with the puzzling tag color choice that some "brilliant" individual or group made over at DMV.

ARRRRG!!!! said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I too enjoy your blog, please don't stop. I feel that I am still "connected" when I get my fix with your writing.
192