Wednesday, August 15, 2012

That's a wrap

On occasion, the Director's Desk strays from its normal content: the unusual and interesting stuff that crosses my desk, fills my screen, and floats through my brain during the day.  One of those rare occasions concerned a certain pork tenderloin in south-central Iowa.  Today marks the second sandwich story in 1,016 blog posts on the Director's Desk.

I don't watch a lot of TV, but when I do, I tend to just channel surf, rather than plan to watch a specific show.  If a minute or two of surfing reveals that  there are 57 channels and nothing on, I'm apt to stop on the Food Network.  Lately, there's been a series running on best sandwiches from around the county, so this article in the Omaha World Herald last week caught my eye.  Can it be that the Beef State's best sandwich is meatless, or is it just the result of the overactive imagination of a vegan Food Network Magazine contributor from someplace like New York City?

Intrigued, I stopped by Maggie's Vegetarian Restaurant for an early lunch yesterday. I can now report that an afficianado of the pork tenderloin has also fallen head-over-heels for an organic vegetarian wrap. Wow--that's a wrap!  You could put that mustard sauce on shoe leather and have a decent meal (although I don't think that would be vegetarian anymore).

While I was dining, a hard-hat from the nearby hotel construction site came in.  He looked over the chalk board at length, then asked the staff, "You got anything with meat?" "No," the young woman replied, "we're vegetarian."  He departed quickly, as if he had a sudden attack of irritable bowel syndrome.  He knoweth not what he misseth.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Director,
My twenty plus years in the trucking business aided me in my search for the "perfect" Chicken Fried Steak". During the 1970's the best CFS in the country was served at a small truck stop in York. The Big Texan Steakhouse in Amarillo, Texas had the next best CFS in the country.

I almost got ran out of a few places in the South when I asked for the traditional gravy they serve with CFS to be served separately in a bowl. The gravy goes better on the Texas style toast, not on the CFS.

Gun Nut

Steve said...

The best thing about vegetarians is they leave more real food for the rest of us! :)

Steve said...

The CFS at the Buglin' Bull in Custer, SD, was the best I'd ever had. It was also the only one I ever had, but I'd certainly order it again.

Anonymous said...

I too found myself at Maggie's trying this best sandwich in the state.

Yumm-o. Seriously good eats folks. Also on the menu some salads that looked really tasty.

I'm not a vegetarian, I like meat. I consider myself a foodie. I like tasty, unique food.

Not all tasty, unique food has meat. This was one of those cases.

Glad I went and glad to hear you enjoyed it too Director!

ARRRRG!!!! said...

Pirates don't have many vegetarian choices.

Anonymous said...

That's the advantage non-vegetarians have over vegetarians. We can eat vegetarian but they can't eat meat.

Anonymous said...

That's because human beings are naturally omnivores, not herbivores or carnivores. It's why we have all those different types of teeth. It gives us more options than the other two groups.

Anonymous said...

If God wanted us to be vegetarians he wouldn't have made animals out of meat.