Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Day in Dallas

I spent yesterday in Dallas, where I taught an afternoon session at the Caruth Police Institute. I had been invited by a colleague at the Dallas Police Department. The institute brought together a group of 21 police sergeants and lieutenants who are participating in a rather intense symposium.

My topic was "Leveraging Data and Analysis to Improve Police Operations," although I also incorporated many example from the fire & rescue service, as well. It was an enjoyable experience, except for a three hour delay getting home. I flew down-and-back, which made for a long slog.

As usual, I learned more than I imparted. My 0600 departure got me to the Institute in time for the morning presenter's class, "Tribal Leadership" presented by Randy Mayeux. It was an intriguing class, but what impressed me most was the fact that about six assistant city attorneys are attending the five-week leadership session, alongside mid-managers from the Dallas PD, Sheriff's Office, and Richardson PD.

Dallas practices community prosecution, in which the prosecutors work hand-in-glove with the police and with other stakeholders to address neighborhood and community issues. Very impressive, indeed, and this was a perfect collaboration for my topic. We shared our experiences with one another in dealing with mutual problems despite the distance and the rather gigantic difference in size. Lincoln is similar in size to one of the seven patrol districts in Dallas.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Did you go by and see ex-LPD officer Joe Kaufman and watch some TV with him?