Tuesday, December 21, 2010

When at Mom’s…

I woke up yesterday morning and checked the inbox, where I found a new comment, left last night on a blog post I wrote way back on April 11, 2007—my second day of blogging.  I figured the reader must have been looking at that post when he decided to ask a question. 

I responded, but he must have lost track of where he had left the comment, because he called me yesterday afternoon to ask the same question and seek my opinion.  Here’s the exchange we had online, which pretty much mirrors our telephone conversation.  Very nice young man, and I think he will follow my advice.  When at Mom’s is the same as When in Rome.
Anonymous said...

Hi Chief. I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this, but I am an 18-year-old who moved to college recently. I am home over Christmas Break, and my mother is trying to enforce a 12:00 curfew on me. It's embarrassing and cuts off a lot of my ability to hang out with friends. I see your statistic about DWIs by hour, and although they peak closer to 2:00, if I am driving sober, would a 2:00 curfew involve enough more of a risk to me to warrant the 12:00 curfew?

Tom Casady said...
7:42-
If you are 18 and no longer living at home, bedtime is your own business. However, as a basic matter of politeness, a guest in someone else's home should always endeavor to abide by the "house rules.". Your mother probably doesn't want to lay awake tossing and turning until she hears the door at 2:00 am. You should respect her wishes.
And yes, the risk is greater at 2:00 am then at midnight.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

If mom is paying any of his college tuition/board/etc, then he's still not a free agent.

Steve said...

I bet he won't call again to ask the same question when he has an 18-year-old of his own to worry about.

Anonymous said...

This gives new meaning to 'ask dad'. 18? Sounds more like 13.

Anonymous said...

Hey 18 year old-

Be thankful you have a Mom that cares about you. Spend some time with her while you are home.

256