Monday, December 20, 2010

Big night

I mentioned a week ago that we had a pretty big night for DWI arrests on Friday, December 10th, with a total of 10 drunk driving arrests.  That’s a pretty productive night, but it can’t hold a candle to the day before yesterday. On Saturday, December 18, LPD officers arrested 17 drunk drivers.  That’s the biggest number of arrests on a single day in 2010.

As I have often told our officers, there is nothing a police officer does that has a more immediate impact on public safety than arresting a drunk driver.  Great job, night shift officers, on another weekend of life-saving work!

7 comments:

Former Deputy D said...

Great Job LPD, it's been 21 years since I was hit by a drunk driver and not a day goes by that I don't think about the impact it caused in my life. Thanks for your continued effort on keeping the drunks off the streets of Lincoln.

Steve said...

Now, if the courts would actually keep those people off the streets, we might actually be safer. As it is, the time it takes them to get out of detox is about all the safer driving time we have.

Anonymous said...

I'm with Former Deputy D in extending my Thanks & a big pat on the back for LPD! It's been 28 years since a kid in a Buick plowed into me on my motorcycle. Although he wasn't drunk…He WAS as high as a kite.
And yes, being on the receiving end of impaired driving IS a life changer.

Anonymous said...

chief,

wondering? of the 17 dui's.. can you explain / graph what area of town these were all caught in when they got pulled over... thanks

Anonymous said...

Chief-Might there have been a chance that increased DUI's could be correlated to graduation day at UNL?

256

Steve said...

I applaud the department's efforts in this regard, too. I just wish the courts and legislators would change something so that catching DUIs wasn't such a futile effort.

Anonymous said...

I'd like to see leaving the scene of an accident (injury or not) treated as being equivalent to whichever DUI offense you'd have coming. For example, you have a DUI 1st offense 6 years ago, drive drunk today, crash, then run away. It would be treated as a 2nd offense DUI.