Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Trailblazer

Capt. Kim Koluch managed to quietly slip out the door while I was preoccupied, retiring after 33 years at LPD.  Kim joined the police department when it was a far different place, and women were exceedingly rare on the force. She leaves as one of the most seasoned, veteran commanders. Capt. Koluch spent many years commanding the Department's Southeast Team, and in more recent years the Center Team. More than anyone I know, she embraced a problem-oriented approach to policing, which she modeled and taught to many sergeants and officers she led.

Among Kim's many accomplishments, she was also he first women to join the SWAT Team, and she commanded the Team for several years. I can't tell you how glad I was when she accepted that job. I always had the utmost confidence in her to manage the most serious emergencies LPD encounters. She is a true professional, and one of the trailblazers who helped pave the way for other women in policing to achieve their goals. She was also a community leader, active in many organizations.

Kim has a wicked sense of humor. She pulled the best practical joke on me that I can ever recall, involving a crow, a basketball hoop, and a big bag of bird seed. She is one of those people who I love to be around, to chat with, laugh with, to brainstorm with. Kim,  I'm going to miss you tremendously. Congratulations, and best wishes. Buy yourself a new driver...again.

No comments: