Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Word verification on

Regrettably, I have turned on word verification for those posting comments on the Director's Desk. I know this is a bit of a hassle, and really hope it does not severely impact the dialog, but over the holiday weekend I was slammed with just over 300 spam comments. The flood started a few weeks ago, and seemed to get worse with each passing day. Since I moderate, I can prevent these from being posted on my blog, but it is just too time consuming with this volume. The problem is that among those 300+ are a few legitimate posts, so I really have to look at each one, at least briefly. Word verification is the only way I have to prevent the deluge of computer-generated barf from filling my inbox, unless someone has a better idea.

4 comments:

Steve said...

Can't blame you for using verification. We wouldn't have this problem if it weren't for those damn computers.

X said...

The kids at http://areyouahuman.com/ have a funner way of accomplishing the spam sieve.

Tom Casady said...

Kewball,

Love it. Wish Blogger supported it.

Steve said...

Kewball:

Does anyone else have the trouble I have with some of this verification stuff? Half the time, I have no clue what the words or letters or numbers are. Even worse, if you try the sound version. Can anyone actually understand that crap? The ones I've seen here haven't been too bad, though many of the pictures with numbers were difficult to be sure.