Friday, April 27, 2012

Hide of the Naug

One of the nice things about bicycle commuting is the enjoyment of sights, sounds, and smells that would likely go unnoticed from the driver's seat of an automobile. This week, the scent of lilacs in bloom and the bumper crop of bunnies along the Rock Island Trail have been particularly pleasant. Wednesday during my daily ride, however, the find of the week came into view in the pre-dawn glow near Capital Avenue and E Street.  I returned with my camera at lunchtime to collect a snapshot of these exceptional specimens:

For those of you unfamiliar with the Hide of the Naug, these were once a common sight in these parts, found first in the new apartment living room. In a few years it would move to the rumpus room of a split-level in the suburbs, later to a dorm room, and in its twilight years to a front porch, before finally being hauled to the curb. Ah, many a roach clip and baggie I pulled from such cushions in my youth.  Alas, this particular subspecies is somewhat endangered these days.  You can read all about the history of the Nauga here, and the various products made from its hide.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Usually your blog informs, sometimes it entertains. If I had more hands I would give you more than 2 thumbs up!

Steve said...

Maybe we could relocate them out along Salt Creek for the tiger beetles to use (they're probably related to roaches).

Anonymous said...

Makes me want to burst into the song 'Memories'. Sigh.

Anonymous said...

What a giggle! I loved reading the history of this critter, and sent the address to my sis so she could get a laugh, too. I agree on the thumbs up.

Anonymous said...

HILARIOUS!!! I've read this several times and laughed every time!