Friday, August 15, 2008

Farewell

I believe this will be my last post. I appreciate the Chief letting me take over the keyboard in his absence. Many of you have commented that I should do my own blog or take over for the Chief. Thanks, but no thanks. I am afraid the time commitment is just too much for me. Besides, one of you would have to open up your home to me as I am pretty sure my wife is tired of hearing 'Ok, just a second I have to blog...' every time she asks me a question.

One last time; No I am not the chief and I don't think he knows who I am. He actually did relinquish control of his blog to me. There were no ground rules or guidelines as to what I could post and what I could not. I would welcome the chance to fill in again if he ever takes another vacation, but I am not looking for a full time blogger spot.

It gives me a good feeling that so many people read The Chief's Corner and pay attention and are interested in the inner-workings of LPD and the City of Lincoln. The majority of posts are positive and supportive of what we do. Some aren't, but that's ok too. That should help us all keep on our toes and continue doing the professional job that we do. The citizens that read the blog are staying informed and involved, which will help to keep this a safe city in which to work and live. Even though I do not always agree with the Chief, my hat is off to him for taking the time and energy to maintain this blog spot. It is a great venue for showing LPD behind the scenes.

One last rah rah statement: I do think LPD is a great department. Of course we have our problems as well, but I'd take LPD problems over some other department's problems any day. Although a chill wind still blows every once in a while, we are still a cluster of stars. ( A gold star to anyone that recognizes that reference!) BE SAFE!

Atticus

p.s.- I went almost an entire week without mentioning that LPD is well short of the 1.5 officers per 1,000 citizens. We do pretty good impacting crime with the numbers we have. Imagine what we could do if we got to that level.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you Atticus. I think the city of Lincoln has a great police department. Sure, there are a few things that could be improved and maybe even a few citizens didn't get the result they were looking for from the police department. Even I got a few surprises of my own dealing with certain people. But it is a life lesson to not get involved with that situation again. I wish you the best of luck. I don't think the chief will be taking a vacation again for another ten years and by that time blogging will have gone out with bell bottoms.

Anonymous said...

Do you think the shief will still be here in ten years??? He's gotta be nearing retirement, he could probably be making more money doing the speaking conferences across the nation once a month.... and then the new uniforms come :)

Anonymous said...

I think Mark D. should begin an investigation to determine exactly WHO IS ATTACUS?? I'll begin Mark...he's been around for "a while".

Atticus said...

Actually 'a while' is a relative term. I have been here a while if you compare me to 1285 (this time I mean). But I am a FNG if you compare me to 287.

Anonymous said...

J.D or J.A. ???

Anonymous said...

Well said! If any Lincolnites think that the rare LPD bad apple is ominous, they need to look at what sometimes pops up in other law enforcement agencies. For example - Antoinette Frank and the NOLAPD. She's currently on LA's death row.

I imagine that no one hates a bad cop more than all the good cops. In any large organization, you're going to get a clinker now and then, but I'd like to think that someone as screwed-up as Frank couldn't even make it past the first interview at LPD.

It's not just law enforcement. Back during my time in uniform, Clayton Lonetree was my branch's most infamous bad apple. No one wanted to see him up against the wall and in a box more than we did, but he got off light for his serial betrayal. The Navy had John Walker and his treasonous kin, and so on and so forth. How he didn't get the noose for that one is beyond me.